Monday, May 14, 2012

How Binondo forced my frown


It must have been my old infatuation with the Chinese language, Putonghua as I was told, that enthralled me to go and see Binondo. I was 17-years-old and all I had were romanticized visions of noodles selling like hot pancakes in the morning, shelves full of glittering charm crystals and stacks of hopia in all shapes and sizes--rich and vibrant. 

Right then, 'Go to Binondo' was added to my to-do list.

But years after, with most of the Chinese words and symbols I had learned now lost within my neural network, and Kim Chui's hit series My Binondo Girl ranked in the ratings war, I was still yet to strike a line through my six-year-old entry.

So I finally asked my tita its whereabouts. She could go on explaining but I could never figure it out. And I never understood why I never thought of just Google-ing it.

Pak! Pak! Pak! The machine-gun like sounds of the Judas belt brought me back to senses. I was there standing a few feet away from a red dragon and a couple more from a yellow lion.

So this is Binondo. Finally.

I couldn't stop smiling; I could already feel myself drawing a horizontal line across my to-do list. I even had to join a class field trip during the Chinese New Year--a chance, I thought--just to get there.

But like the child's discovery of Santa Claus' nonexistence was my realization of the Chinatown I dreamed. It lacked colors, gleefulness and life. I frowned.

Felt-tip-penned names of lovers swarmed the monuments and markers at Plaza Lorenzo Ruiz across Binondo Church. What should have been preserved and valued were vandalized memories of the Filipino-Chinese Second World War heroes. The plaza has become a make-shift sanctuary for the bystanders and the homeless.

I took a few shots of just another 'tambayan,' Plaza Lorenzo Ruiz

Some of the streets and buildings could use some cleaning and repairing. Street signs need improvements and the landscape overall need a redesign.

Binondo is a far cry from my premature imagination. I must've forgotten that the wealthy Chinese businesspeople are lounging within the confines of executive villages. Or I must've have just imagined wrong.

Regardless, I'm sure a lot of secrets are ready to be unearthed there

Go to Binondo 

At least.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vincent! I guess kelangan na iupdate yung blog mo... since May pa ito e. :P How about 'simcity socials' for a topic? haha

    ReplyDelete