Monday, May 7, 2012

Behind his butt I sat and waited

Who would've wanted to sit under the sun for a couple of painful hours behind a petite man's backside? 
I know many did. 
I have.

Rewind to five years ago.

Aprill 22. I spiked my hair, wore my striped collared shirt and made sure I'd be gwapo. I wouldn't let my Barong-clad brother outshine me on that day. Heck, he'd successfully done it for more than 10 years. But I guess the fact that he'd get branded cum laude later that day only rubbed it on my face and shoved it up my---never mind.

Big deal. So what if he was cattle-like walking across a field with medals clanking on his chest, which could be easily bought from Recto by the way. Read my lips: I-was-not-jealous. At all.

Yeah right.


A few minutes into his university graduation, I could already feel the pressure of passing that darn UPCAT---every college student wannabe's ticket to UP hell. Forget the other schools. Focus on UP, I told myself. I didn't fly back home to study in a (I'll sound too harsh and obnoxious if I continue haha).

The sun was at its peak, my jeans were soaked in sweat and, still, a bunch of students wrapped in sablay were still being called on the platform unconsciously bowing to wear their, yes again, medals. Could this go on for ages, I thought. I was dying to go home, get into fresh, comfy clothes and feast on home-cooked foods.

Cum laude
UP. 
Ugh, big deal.

Then it struck me. 

"In five years, ako naman ang papanuorin mo dito, Ma.
She smiled. "Oo naman."

What the fuck did I just say? Confidence or wishful thinking perhaps. Whichever of the two, it doesn't matter anymore.

April 22. I waxed my hair up, fit into a Barong and wore my sablay--gwapo. I sat, yet again, behind the petite man's butt. And this time, wearing something I worked hard for for four years. Though I still think I can get one from Recto if I wanted.

"I did it, Ma." 
She smiled. "Oo naman."

No comments:

Post a Comment